Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Mind over Mudder!

The dirty dash team name was indeed decided by a coin toss Heads (Mind over Mudder) or Tails (Dirt for Dessert)...I used an online coin simulation too so it was clearly unbiased!! :D If you would like to join my team Mind Over Mudder the link will take you to the registration page and you select register now and join an existing team...or you can create your own team and we can all celebrate at the finish line together!! :D

So today I got measured when I went to Zumba and in two weeks I have lost 1.5" from my bust, 1" from my waist, and 2" from my hips! I don't know how my weigh in will go tomorrow, I haven't had any binges or gone over my calorie limit, but I did eat out this week more than I have been...and I just never feel like I get a 100% accurate count of my calories...whereas when I'm at home and I am measuring everything out as I make it I know precisely what I am consuming. The scale will not lie tomorrow! :D 

Now I know it's my cross-training day but I always feel like I can do so much more (as far as burning calories, expending energy) on my off-days from running. I normally go to Zumba with my friend Jackie on Tuesdays to mix up the routine...and for a break from the mundane...With that said, I gave into the temptation to beat my mile run from last week (11:24) and smacked it in the face with this bad boy:

Check out that (n)ever interesting wall I have to gaze at as I run!

So everyone always asks me what I eat...truth is I still eat whatever I want, just within moderation. Today is the first day I made a "special shake" I got done lifting weights, and running, and before that I had been at Zumba...so I decided to make a protein shake. I'm not a huge protein shake girl...normally it just tastes nasty to me so I don't eat it! Today I decided to give it a second chance, and I'm glad I did. I made a chocolate peanut butter protein shake:
1 cup almond milk
2 scoops vanilla protein powder (serving size)
1 TBSP chocolate pudding mix
2 TBSP PB2 (powdered peanut butter)
1/4 tsp each guar gum and xanthan gum (gives shake thick consistency)
then about 10 ice cubs
Blend it all up and it's almost (but not quite) like an ice cream shake!! :D
For a total of 300 calories and 23 grams of protein

There you have it, a Maggie-Made Shake! No comparison to real ice cream, but for now, it will do, and it's so thick you have to eat it with a spoon!! 

You know, I was just thinking how lucky I am. I was just texting my sister, Erika, telling her how I couldn't wait to run with her to which she replied, "you already can"...truth is I've been running with her my entire life. She continually supports, encourages, and lifts me up. When I was in high school and she was super cool, had a job, and lived on her own she would come over in the morning and would walk/run with me on the bike path...I could always count on her..and I know the same stands for today...except we're states away...so I run with her in spirit for now. What I really can't wait for is to be able to run with her without having to stop to walk, or catch my breath, or slow down!

I'm also extremely fortunate because 5 weeks from Sunday I will be running a half-marathon relay (7.1 miles) with my sister-in-law, Elise while my brother, David runs his half-marathon and is going to crush his PR!!!!! 

It's good to take a step back, look at the support of the loved ones around you, and appreciate each and every one of them! I'm so thankful, I'm so loved, I'm so overwhelmed I think I could burst...so I hope I can give back as much as you have all given to me! Hebrews 12:1 says, " Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us" 

Perseverance, what a beautiful word. Perseverance is defined (by google..hehe) as, "steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success." So whatever your struggle is, no matter how many times you have started over, regardless of the times you've hit ground zero, keep going, run the race, keep your head up, and above all get back up and persevere...because there are people all around waiting to cheer you on!

No comments:

Post a Comment