Sunday, April 6, 2014

Quit saying, "I can't" and "I'm not"

I must correct myself from my previous post...I apparently cannot count! Today makes it officially 28 weeks until the Duke City Half Marathon! My sincerest apologies for throwing out such misleading information! ;) That means my official training begins this week! However, this past week was not wasted! First, I must update on my last weigh-in! I lost my "Dallas" weight and 0.2 pounds on top of that...which means I lost 2 pounds and am at 254.6! To be honest I was hoping for a bigger number...but as I've learned and continue to learn weight loss is a slow process and every pound counts! That doesn't mean I can't hope for a big number this week, right?!

I can proudly say for each run I did this week I was able to complete them without taking a walking break! I am proud of this, especially since my runs were on the treadmill and I feel you have to be a lot more mentally engaged on any treadmill run because it's so easy to just hit that little 'downward arrow' and decrease your speed! Yesterday evening I did a 4 mile run in 51 minutes so I averaged a 12:45 pace. That is honestly a comfortable pace for me. I know at that I can maintain that pace for quite some time! Even though I know I can maintain that pace I still find myself trying to give up in the middle of my runs...I start hearing in the back of my mind "you can't do this, you're not going to make it!" at those points I say, "just thirty more seconds" or "just 0.1 mile more" and eventually I make it to the end...if I'm outside I do what my siblings (Erika and David) told me, "make it to that tree, get to that rock, pass that house" whatever it takes...just keep pushing! 

Another challenge with running on the treadmill is staying on it! Haha...every time I get on for a run I give it "the look" that says, "Now don't you try anything funny...I'm not here to play games!" I had to crack up when someone on Facebook posted this:

I saw this and said: hey I did that!

It's funny how easy it is to doubt ones capabilities...even when we are aware of the strength that we possess! Every run I have to start by saying, "I can do this!" All week long I have been struggling with the fact that I am such a "slow" runner and just being frustrated with myself that I can't push faster! Somehow everyone or everything I have encountered this week is teaching me and reminding me that the speed at which you run does not matter...running is all that matters! I will share a few things that I stumbled upon or had shared with me that has encouraged me with my running! First, I found this amazing article that is titled, "If You Run Slow, Who Cares?" Such a great read. It basically said how people hesitate or don't join in on running clubs because they're afraid or embarrassed by their pace...the writer goes on to share how runners are some of the most welcoming athletes that you will meet...and I must agree! One of the things I loved most about the Rock 'N Roll Relay was the support and acceptance every runner displayed towards me. All that matters at the end of the day was that you got out there and you did your best! Then earlier this week my sister, Erika, sent me this image...

It's very hard at the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not
to be a the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is
against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit.
As I continue to run I will continue to change my frame of mind. It's not about the speed, it's not about beating anyone...it's about doing it and finishing...no matter how fast or slow I may be. As undeserving as I feel to say this, ladies and gentlemen my name is Margaret Sarah Elizabeth Rosecrans (but you can call me Maggie, if you want to!) and I am a runner! I weigh 254.6 pounds and I run because I can, I run to become the healthiest I've ever been, I run to take time out of the day for myself, I run for those who can't, I will continue to run because I love it and I love myself enough to not give up on running! :D 

Today was a rest day for me so I hung out with my friend Krystal and we chatted to our hearts content while walking in my favorite place ever...the Bosque!! It was such a beautiful afternoon for a walk!


I also enjoyed some sister time with my little sister Abbie...I told her if she isn't running the half marathon with me she'd better be doing some arm strength training to hold up double signage for me! ;) Tomorrow I get to do a three mile run! I will probably go to The Academy and run around there for a change in scenery! But who knows...I've been known to change my mind last minute and just go with the flow! 

Me and Abbie!! <3 sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment