Monday, April 6, 2015

Untold Stories of Dallas (Part 2)

Before I share with you my next post from Dallas I'll keep y'all up-to-date on my latest weigh in. Today I weighed in at 200.4 pounds. Almost back under. For the first time in my life I had strep throat and so I haven't been running like I would like but it has also helped constrict my calorie consumption. Yesterday was my first day back on real foods...and it was glorious! ;) I'm hoping to have enough energy to run this week and get back into the swing of things! I have other news to share...but this post will be long enough...so until then, enjoy!

Friday March 20, 2015:

Friday morning started off with a run bright and early, actually it was so early it wasn’t even bright yet! Olivia, Erika, David, and myself all ran a lovely 5k! Running with family is so much fun! I highly recommend it. Not only do you get to enjoy the sound of each others farts, I mean the sound of their feet…you also have the pleasure of conversation. Running brings out the honestly and intellect in everyone and there’s nothing more delightful than a loving and encouraging conversation with siblings while reaping the benefits of some cardiovascular exercise! We got home, David made us all a lovely cup ‘o Joe and he headed off to work so he could meet us later that afternoon at the expo.

Before going to collect our packets and hit up the expo we got to hit up the Dallas Farmers Market!! One of my most favorite things…since it was a weekday it wasn’t as massive as it can be on the weekend but I still loved it! The fruit and veggies are so fresh and colorful and massive! The food stands have samples of their products cut up for you to taste…it’s just so much fun!

We were going to hit up Clyde Warren Park…however, it was drizzling and it was decided it would just be best to head over to the expo and let the boys run around in an area before we actually walked through the event and while we waited for David to get off work and meet up with us! We drove across the way to the convention center and found the perfect area where the boys could run around outside (under a covered area) and burn off some of their boyish energy and we (me, Erika, Olivia, and Mom) could wait inside and keep an eye on them through the glass doors!

While we were watching the boys we started talking and Erika looked at me and said, “So, 207 huh?” Darn…she had read my post from the day before! We started talking about how I had just gotten out of control. At work I would eat anything and everything within reach and then when I got home I would eat anything and everything within site…be it 3 Belvita packages, 2 yogurts, 2 bags of popcorn, a bowl of cereal, and anything else I could cram into my already aching and throbbing stomach. I then went on to confess that I had tried to make myself throw up. I literally went to the toilet and stuck my finger down my throat to try to expel every poor decision I had just made into the toilet. As I’ve mentioned before, I HATE the throw up…so attempting to make myself vomit is nearly impossible! I’m queen of gagging and keeping it all down…it’s a gift…and a curse when I’m really sick and really need to just throw up. I said how embarrassed I was to even confess to the fact that I had tried to make myself throw up. I was ashamed and knew better, however, neither Erika, Olivia, or Mom looked at me with disappointment. They looked at me with understanding, compassion, and love. They didn’t shame me or make me feel worse. They just listened, understood, and helped me talk it out. It makes me ache for those who are ashamed of their eating disorders. It made me wonder how many struggle in silence feeling the guilt of where there at and being afraid of what others may think…and so instead of reaching out they suffer in silence. Let me just say this. If you have an eating disorder, be it anorexia, binge eating, bulimia…please do not be ashamed! Seek help; find someone you trust to talk to. If you don’t think there’s anyone you can confide it call a hotline where you can seek guidance and help. For example National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA) has a hotline 1-800-931-2237. You’re not a failure, you’re not a mess up, you are worth fighting for, you are worth getting healthy for, and you are worth the help! Do not be ashamed! Do not be embarrassed! 

So as we talked the boys played happily outside for about an hour and then David was off work and able to meet up with us…and then the real fun began!

 Dallas Rock ‘N Roll Expo!! One of my favorite events…as you all know! When you walk in the first thing you do is pick up your race bib, participant shirt, and bag. From there you walk through and there are vendors everywhere! Booths set up left and right with different items from clothing to headbands to shoes to Dunkin Donuts coffee to kineseo tape etc etc etc. Many of the tables will give away samples (my favorite part)! We collected a decent amount of loot…however, I failed to capture a picture of everything so my sincerest apologies! You’ll just have to visualize a bag overflowing with items like ice packs, ponchos, wafer samples, pens, etc. We knew Sunday had the potential to be drizzly in the morning so David and I went back to several different tables where they were giving out ponchos and collected 6 ponchos!! Just to be safe!! :D Anything that you throw off to the side along the course is collected and then donated so it works out perfectly to be able to do that.

In addition to collecting our loot we also signed up for next years half marathon in Dallas since it was at the lovely discounted price of $50…it’s basically becoming a family tradition now…the rest of my family just has to get onboard ;) Hehehehe! For signing up early we got a free shirt too…and I mean, honestly, who doesn’t love a free t-shirt?

Upon departing the expo we took our pictures with the infamous Dallas B_G sign!!! So here are a few pictures from that:

Olivia, Me, Mom, David, Adrian, Erika. In the B is Ander, In the G is Andrik and Ezra

<3 Sisters!! Olivia, me, and Erika

After the expo we all headed back to David and Elise’s to chow down on some dinner, enjoy each other’s company, and play with the kiddos! It was a fun evening…at one point Erika asked Ezra (Olivia’s youngest boy) what he loved about Adrian (Olivia’s oldest boy). Initially he was having a hard time coming up with anything so Erika gave an example of what she loves about Olivia and…once that started well…we all caught on and started going around the room and sharing what we loved about one another…and if you know anything about Rosecrans women well then you probably safely guessed it quickly turned into a sob fest. You know, it’s amazing how speaking life into others speaks life into you. I’ve never said something nice to someone and said to myself, “Gosh, I wish I wouldn’t have said that…I wish I never wouldn’t complimented that person…I feel worse after saying that!” No! It’s normally the opposite…like “Why didn’t I say something sooner? Look how much joy that brought them” It was fun to fill each other’s buckets with words of truth, love, and life!

After dinner it was time for bed…because after all…I had a sub 30 5K to run in the morning. David was going to be my pacer and Erika was going to be my motivator/encourager and together we would finish what I set out to start! 

No comments:

Post a Comment